This Week in Rust Docs 33
Hello and welcome to This Week in Rust Docs!
And of course, don’t forget to look at the docs:
This week’s edition was edited by Guillaume Gomez.
Since new rustc version is out, the controversial changes on docs have been merged:
- Fold fields for enum struct variants into a docblock in rustdoc
- Add line breaks to where clauses a la rustfmt in rustdoc.
- Print more tags in rustdoc.
Don’t hesitate to give your feedbacks on them!
The way rustdoc is creating urls is problematic for the moment. A good summary of this issue can be found here. A few members of the Rust Doc team are preparing an RFC in order to improve this. If you want to get involved, feel free to speak about it with Guillaume Gomez (imperio on IRC).
Please take a look to the next rust doc days planning reminder.
The topic to propose crates for the Rust Doc Days is still open and waiting for contributions here. Please take a look!
Current opened issues
For now, here are the three big issues for Rust documentation:
- Error code list which need to be updated to new format
- The Standard Library Documentation Checklist
- Add error explanations for all error codes
They all need help to move forward so any contribution is very welcome!
There are currently around 70 other documentation issues opened. Look for A-docs tagged issues on GitHub!
Call for participation
There’s now a call for participation to display all methods of a type, even those from implicit traits in rustdoc. This is a great way to help users find everything that a type can do. Any help on it would be very appreciated!
Waiting for merge
- @estebank pointed out the known type when field doesn’t satisfy bound, supported
char, showed span for trait that doesn’t implement Copy, warned when an import list is empty and detected missing
;on methods with return type
- @KiChjang displayed better error messages for E0282.
- @wezm simplified notes on testing and concurrency.
- @jonathandturner pointed arg num mismatch errors back to their definition.
- @brson updated book for rustup.
- @linclark added error explanation for E0328.
- @ollie27 added sort lines in search index and implementors js in rustdoc.
- @zackmdavis note individual lint name in messages set via lint group attribute.
- @GuillaumeGomez fixed small typo, added more examples to UpdSocket, added missing examples for panicking objects, casted suggestions, added checkup for return statement outside of a function, added examples for exit function and added information in case of markdown block code test failure.
Recent doc contributions
- @alygin fixed error explanation formatting.
- @liigo got back missing crate-name when –playground-url is used in rustdoc.
- @sourcefrog documented that Process::command will search the PATH and made a clearer description of std::path::MAIN_SEPARATOR.
- @mikhail-m1 added hint to fix error for immutable ref in arg.
- @estebank showed multiline spans in full if short enough and showed
<Struct as Trait>in E0323.
- @cardoe fixed small typo in bootstrap/README.
- @jethrogb updated items section in reference.
- @tarka fixed testing concurrency section.
- @GuillaumeGomez added examples for TcpListener struct, added part of missing UdpSocket’s urls and examples, added missing examples for Ipv6Addr, added missing examples for IpAddr enum, added cloned example for Option and added Component examples.
Next meeting will be on Wednesday 7th of December 2016 at 20:00 GMT on #rust-docs channel on irc.mozilla.org. Feel free to come!